How the Brain Works
How do cognitive skills work together to perform mental tasks? Consider the following mental task:
Spell the capital of Spain backwards.
Sounds simple? This task actually uses all seven skills shown above. You will have to:
1. Be paying attention
2. Remember the instructions (working memory)
3. Recall the capital of Spain (long-term memory)
4. Decide how you're going to slove the problem (logic & reasoning)
5. Sound the syllables (auditory processing)
6. Picture the name and read it backwards (visual processing)
How quickly you perform this task depends on your processing speed.
If just one of these skills wasn't working efficiently, doing mental tasks would be harder - no matter how many times you're taught or tutored. This is why we aim to strengthen all your cognitive skills with our customized one-on-one training.